The Edward Goodwin Ballard Prize in Phenomenology is sponsored by the Center for Advanced Research in Phenomenology with interest from a fund raised from Professor Ballard’s family, students, and friends. The prize of $1,000 is awarded annually, beginning in 1997, for the best book in phenomenology from the previous three years nominated in an area of interest to Ballard. Books that are phenomenological and published in English, French, German, or Spanish focusing on art, ancient philosophy, the philosophy of the liberal arts, or the philosophies of mathematics, natural science, or technology will be preferred.
To nominate a book, send, by April 15th, a letter of nomination and arrange to have the publisher send five copies of the book to:
Professor James Dodd
Department of Philosophy
The New School for Social Research
Albert & Vera List Academic Center – 6 East 16th Street
New York, NY 10003
The winner of each competition will be announced at the Society for Phenomenology and Existential Philosophy meetings in October each year as well as on this website.
- 2017: Dieter Lohmar. Denken ohne Sprache. Phänomenologie des nicht-sprachlichen Denkens bei Mensch und Tier im Licht der Evolutionsforschung, Primatologie und Neurologie. Springer, 2016.
- 2016: Michela Summa. Spatio-Temporal Intertwining. Husserl’s Transcendental Aesthetic. Springer, 2014.
- 2015: Antonio Calcagno. Lived Experience from the Inside Out: Social and Political Philosophy in Edith Stein. Duquesne University Press, 2014.
- 2014: Donald Landes. Merleau-Ponty and the Paradoxes of Expression. Bloombsbury Press, 2013.
- 2012: Hwa Yol Jung. Transverse Rationality and Intercultural Texts:Essays in Phenomenology and Comparative Philosophy. Ohio University Press, 2011.
- 2011: Burt Hopkins. The Philosophy of Husserl. Acumen Press, 2010.
- 2010: Evan Thompson. Mind in Life. Harvard University Press, 2007.
- 2008: J. N. Mohanty. The Philosophy of Edmund Husserl. Yale University Press, 2008.
- 2007: Michael D. Barber. The Participating Citizen SUNY Press, 2004.
- 2006: Thomas Seebohm, Hermeneutics: Method and Methodology. Kluwer, 2004.
- 2004: William S. Hamrick, Kindness and the Good Society: Connections of the Heart. SUNY Press, 2002.
- 2003: Donn Welton, The Other Husserl: The Horizons of Transcendental Phenomenology. Studies in Continental Thought. Indiana University Press, 2002.
- 2002: Steven Galt Crowell, Husserl, Heidegger, and the Space of Meaning: Paths Toward Transcendental Phenomenology. Evanston, Illinois: Northwestern University Press,2001.
- 2001: Dermot Moran, Introduction to Phenomenology. London: Routledge, 2000.
- 2000: Dan Zahavi, Self-Awareness and Alterity: A Phenomenological Investigation. Evanston, Illinois: Northwestern University Press, 1999.
- 1999: Olav Wiegand, Interpretationen der Modallogik: Ein Beitrag zur phaenomenologischen Wissenschaftstheorie, 1998.
- 1998: Maurice Natanson, The Erotic Bird: Phenomenology in Literature. Princeton: Princeton University Press, 1998.
- 1997: S. Kay Toombs, The Meaning of Illness: A Phenomenological Account of the Different Perspectives of Physician and Patient. Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic, 1993.